Saturday, September 5, 2020

i love, therefore, i am

 

does the tree know when the bird perches on its limb,

the daisy, does it know when the bee buzzes about

and does the river know when the salmon swims in its

running stream much like me being cognizant of my

rambling thoughts, my deep breaths, the ache in

my heart for my fellow man?

 

the cardinal, does it know what song to whistle in order

to call attention to herself letting others know of her

presence and although our canine child responds to our

demands, does she really love us the way we love her or

is her love more innocent, pure and selfless?

 

when the eagle soars o’er looking down at the wolf

howling are they sharing their views as when the

sun lends its light to the moon at night are they aware

of each other’s purpose to help grow the flora and make

the tides of the seas ebb and flow for marine life to thrive

and grow?

 

and when the breath of life is no longer present in me,

will what mine eyes have seen, my ears have heard,

my taste buds tasted, my fingers sensitively touched,

and my spirit has danced to, will all this persist to exist

somewhere in the realm of the universe, most importantly,

will I remember love and will it remember me?

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely question. Last question rings in my head a bit too frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it will remember you! Indigenous folk believe - as do I - that everything has consciousness - trees, animals, whales......we could do more with ours than we do, and maybe we will, if we survive long enough to evolve. Smiles. This is a beautiful poem. It lifted my heart.

    ReplyDelete