Thursday, August 27, 2020

transition and change

 

Like the daisy who in Spring sprouts with ebullience

for it sees the sun above and feels and the soft gentle

breath of Nature on its petals that prods it to dance

in the breeze in celebration to its new beginnings

 

So too did I, when youth filled my being, did dance

about every morning of my waking t’if my innocence

was the gift of life never to be forsaken. The Spring

of my youth was the weave of my attire always to

be worn, never thinking it to be frayed or stripped

 

But to my despair and awakening, not only has my

Innocence been taken, my youthful exuberance has

waned, not because mine eyes see less clear, my arms,

my legs no longer with the same strength, no longer

run with prancing deer

 

This unnerving and less than desired transition from

youthful energy comes not just from an unavoidable

aging and time but because some ‘one’ and his enablers

now are clouding o’er the shining light of dreams

and hopes for not just me but for most in ‘our country’

 

Too many are in queues for food handouts, those who

can only their love ones from behind glass enclosed

spaces who may or may not survive their medical malady,

those whose children have been separated from family

and are in cages, those who have been stripped of dignity

and are now jobless and homeless, those who fear to leave

their home for fear of violence because of pigment…

 

Our societal dystopia has now been made real, exacerbated

by an insidious pandemic, by lack of addressing the historic

societal woes by enabling voices that are propagating hate

and lies in denial of the inherent systemic racism, sexism

homophobia now being drawn out from the once hidden of

its pervasiveness, all now being prodded and fueled, by ‘one’  

vitriolic voice…

 

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way for the same reasons, as you know, my friend. I have always been SUCH an optimist, as you also know. But the weight of this past four years has taken a toll on me. I am disheartened, discouraged and only thinly holding onto the hope of the coming election to turn the tide of Awfulness that has spread like poison throughout North American society, even infecting us up north. (Understanding that corrupt people will use corrupt ways to hang onto power.) Never did I dream North America could be like this. I can only imagine how it feels to have come here for a better life, seeing it turn into such a dystopian nightmare.

    ReplyDelete