Sunday, November 20, 2016

life for her and me

little white flakes have arrived
in a fury with a restless wind,
a Winter’s day of bluster, t’was
green and warm just yesterday

it came so quickly with such cold
of hand in an unwelcoming pace
with a frigid grip on my heart, my soul,
a sadden gray upon my face

i sit here in my quiet cove listening
to the howl outside my window pane
as it bends the tree with an ominous
slurry of an angry wind and icy rain

my heart is broken, a subtle anguish
engulfs my every pore and my lungs labor
to breathe as my soul threatens of its
departure, a loneliness battles within

the nature of my being is in tumult
knowing my ‘love’ is being challenged
not by the frigid Winter’s touch but
by a more insidious vermin in her blood

if i could lay my hand upon her breast
and take away the pangs of distress
i would gladly wear the thorns of her pain
so that her smile will be welcome
come the next Spring rain

oh spirit of the Universe, let this be so
and i will praise you loudly everywhere
i go, every step i take, every waking
moment with an ‘alleluia’ and dance on
Nature’s dress for all to see, all to know  

13 comments:

  1. The onset of winter as a feeling can be so sudden and consuming - you have captured that perfectly and wonderfully here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that winter angst!! Always works as a great metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than the storm raging outside one could feel the inner turbulence of the speaker. Hope everything is okay with you and yours. My prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everythinbg about this is beautiful--the outer and inner storm, the rhyme and meter and magnitude, and most of all the LOVE. Thank you! May we learn how our presence is balm when we think nothing is left to do. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very strong poem, the way love is standing there trying to protect against that venom... somehow the burden of sickness on top of the events of the world can be overbearing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, my friend. We wish we could take our loved ones' pain on ourselves. It is good she has you walking with her through this. I am thinking of you both during these hard days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite section:

    "i sit here in my quiet cove listening
    to the howl outside my window pane
    as it bends the tree with an ominous
    slurry of an angry wind and icy rain

    my heart is broken, a subtle anguish"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcoantonio, I can feel the depths of your deep pain in your poem. I understand so well how the nature of one's deep being can be in tumult. Some things like this affect one to the core, and there is no way to escape the angst. Blessings to you and her, Marco!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This piece is so beautifully drawn and so deeply sad and reverent and tender, I have a lump in my throat ... your words float - mistily - from the page. Blessings to you and your love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poem is both beautiful and sad and being one who has gone through such a situation I can empathize fully. Being there just showing your love seems insufficient but they just need you to be there and not alone.

    ReplyDelete