Friday, April 1, 2016

forest from the trees

my wanderings have gone from wonderment
to befuddlement
my eyes never closed, just entered into a forest
of a disconcerting maze

when once my eyes saw the ocean blue and
the sky kiss its cheek
and the dove and the seagull dance in and out
of cotton bonnets

saw humpbacks chased by dolphins flying o’er the sea
in a glee-filled spree
smiled as the wolf howled roaming hunting in sprigs and leaves
amidst grand old Sequoia trees 

and the eagles soar as the salmon spawn
the bears wade to catch their own
birds perched on happy trees that escaped
the denuding blade

my tears feel sadness hearing their screams
my heart holds their pain
those beings standing with uncaring hearts and cold empty
eyes as they hold that sawing blade

so i wander into this tattooed maze hoping to capture 
but a moment of wonder in the eyes of my own species
and maybe, just maybe they’ll see the beauty in the
forest of life, the tree

11 comments:

  1. My new favourite of yours, my friend. I adore the beauty and wonderment in this poem, and my heart aches with yours at the trees coming down, the wild ones' homes being destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sherry completely! I wish 'the beauty in the forest of life, called trees' was something that was more protected....your poem speaks so vividly to the worlds of wonder and detail behind all of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the description of our beautiful planet with all its flora & fauna...hope it stays like this forever..love that flicker of hope at the end....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious poem this is to read. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think befuddlement comes to the very best of us - beautifully described and particularly liked that tattooed maze

    ReplyDelete
  6. You write with so, much insight~ I love trees and how their arms sway in wonder from the sun~ I, too hope the ending comes true-the screams are haunting, but so well versed~ Bravo! Thank you, for all your kindness~

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is so much to wonder at in this world and it is sad to know how many people are ignorant and careless of such amazing sights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you have given the trees a voice in this beautiful poem....truly lovely writing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do hope we see the wonder of the world we are risking and losing.

    ReplyDelete