Sunday, July 12, 2015

given it my best


laid my body at the end of day
tossed and turned could not rest
eyes closed they would not stay
the mind fussed about, still at play

an unusual darkness laid heavy on my soul
would not let me sleep, a heavy toll
my heart beat at a quicker pace
my breath waned, not, from the diurnal race

earlier in the day i had walked underneath
the clouds that made the sunlight grey
causing shadows of lilacs and lilies
look as if they were bending down to pray

and when the soft breeze blew by
gathered from the ocean and the sky
i felt the soul and spirit of life
cleansing me,  a moment free of strife

the days, now, seem to come and go so quickly
never enough time to mingle with the trees,
listen to the wind rustle its leaves or observe
the mountains shadows cast from moon beams
jiggling and dancing in the seas

i’m distracted by the staring eyes filled with
pain and angst from the hungry bellies
of humans cast aside, the forests burning
in the night, the earth no longer hides its anger 

and so when i lay my head to rest
i reflect upon my day accepting what
i can and cannot affect, only hope
to those i care for, those i love,
i've given nothing less than my best







14 comments:

  1. You can go to sleep with so much peace if you know you've done your best by the people who matter.. excellent mantra for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rise and fall of thoughts here and the restful ending with content....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how this feels to have a mind that will not shut off when it supposed to be going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually fall asleep easily enough, but I wake up with same sense as you describe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think to give the ones we love the best of ourselves is a wonderful gift..if everybody did that the world would indeed be a better place

    ReplyDelete
  6. "still at play" Love how this played out in double meanings that made the troublesomeness of desire lie alongside the moments of peace. Wonderful juxtapositions. I relate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful. What else can anyone do?
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I echo what Jae Rose has said. One can give no more than their very best. And I share your angst over the forests burning and our fellow human beings and creatures suffering, my friend,. World leaders need to start giving their very best for the sake of future generations - and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no doubt that you always give your best! Lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate it when I can't sleep with all these thoughts running in my end ~ We can certainly just hope that we did our best ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats all matters at the end of the day.. Nice!

    ReplyDelete