Saturday, July 25, 2015

escape


when my footsteps have slowed nearing
the end of my stroll on the path i’ve chosen
having smelled the sassafras and the pine
eaten the wild berries and cherries
my heart has beaten in sync with love
and my eyes have shed the tears lamenting
the departure of joy

i want to hear the sound of a running brook
o’er limbs and stones
rustling leaves on trees from the breeze
and the songbirds singing later ascending to leave
their silhouettes pressed against the clouds that
soar across a now softly painted crimson sky

i wish to sit and watch the dusk roll in quietly
then hear crickets and cicadas begin their
chirping attending in their celebration until
the veil of darkness descends to visit with
the hoot of the owl and the whispering, settling
of night and the nocturnal calm arrives

my head tilts upward to gaze at tiny pin holes of light
dancing about in darken space of the sky and
a lunar smile looks down upon the cricket and the owl
whilst my eyes begin their slumber and
all else sleeps   

 




 
 


18 comments:

  1. a lunar smile looks down upon the cricket and the owl
    whilst my eyes begin their slumber and
    all else sleeps

    It gets to be so peaceful eventually when the moon shines over the horizon. Lovely lines Marco!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you will visit other poets today, Marcoantonio. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes nature is the best friend we can have in times of a much needed solitude

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinholes of light... so magnificent is the night sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hints of rhymes that lull us along in these beautiful images..it transported me to a place where I could imagine you sitting and looking at the world..and transforming those thoughts and feelings into words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. rustling leaves on trees from the breeze
    and the songbirds singing later ascending to leave
    their silhouettes pressed against the clouds that
    soar across a now softly painted crimson sky

    Such lovely images. Beautifully penned :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. the transition period captivated beautifully....'nocturnal calm' could be felt...a lovely poem...

    ReplyDelete
  8. nothing add succor like the embrace of nature; what a beautiful yearning
    have a nice Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whilst you yearn and 'all else sleeps..." Lovely picture of the poetic soul, inspired as it is by the natural world... I shall be back for more...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful images and really a peaceful sense before the sleep--beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marcoantonio this is just magical....it stirs my soul...nature is always my solace and the images created here make me want to watch the day end and the dusk fall...what a magical time of day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This poem is incredibly lovely, my friend...........it could not be said any better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "the nocturnal calm arrives"--such a creative and optimistic depiction.

    ReplyDelete