Thursday, June 4, 2015

live


the sun is crisp in all its yellow and warmth today
birds are playing in air wildly, joyfully
chipmunks are vociferously chirping with heraldry
a pileated woodpecker is knocking and knocking
anomalous black and purple iris’ petals on display

i sit outside with my aging boy, jules, on my lap gently
stroking his brow and with every stroke his paws curl
on occasion he lifts up and licks my cheek
he knows i love him and  that soon we both shall sleep
my girl, jaz, lies curled up at my feet

we sit here waiting for my wife to come back home
she’s been visiting her elderly parents in total care
too many miles away. i’m sure she will want to sit here
with us when she arrives and she will also need gentle strokes

i read today a friend of mine is lamenting a loss of a buddy
repeatedly he posts…death sucks, death sucks, it really sucks
then another post i read  is about this young lady relaying her
acceptance to the end of ‘sheloshim (Judaism)…first thirty
days of intense mourning’. lost her husband too young

life is about this moment; the here and now

a rabbi’s prayer: “don’t let me die while I’m still alive”

 



*for imaginary garden~includes the senses of vision, sound, touch and emotion

11 comments:

  1. our existence can change in an instant. glad you can soak in the moments of peace and companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that quote at the end, my friend.........this poem, full of the simple joys of being alive, encompassing death, is so beautiful, in all of its caring. "Life is about this moment." Yes. I am breathing it in, deeply. Each day, one more gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have an ageing boy cat; I too lost a friend the other day; I too read the sheloshim story. So this certainly speaks to me! A beautiful poem. I was particularly touched by the lines about your wife needing gentle strokes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem, though it deals with death and loss and relinquishment, manages to celebrate life, to comfort, and especially in the first stanza, to totally enchant --'chipmunks are vociferously chirping with heraldry.." that is a great line. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the midst of live, alive and vociferous, there is comfort companionship, and loss; such a reality check . This poem is sweet in its simplicity and stark in its reality

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we need this moment to live.. this few remaining days of spring, and though the life around us fade, let's stroke the nearest living thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wisdom in your rabbi's prayer. We are given a limited number of moments to cherish. Thank you so much for taking part in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Death brings realities of life into proper perspective! The emptiness brings questions of good relationships to the fore!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beauty of a flower doesn't last... and we are all destined to perish. Yet, this poem still celebrates life and I like the intimate feel as well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life is to be savored in this moment ~ Thanks for the lovely reminder despite the challenges & death around us, we must enjoy the here and now ~

    Have a good week ~

    ReplyDelete