Tuesday, June 9, 2015

learning to love


do i care the way i should, the way i can
and is the object of my caring affected
by the giving of myself not in the way
i wish them to but in the way that
affects them best, selflessly

when i whistle and a cardinal whistles
it responds because of my whistling
i understand not what i whistle
but try to replicate its tone and riff
and surely the cardinal when it whistles
back, it's speaking or singing a song to me

when i stand beside the great cherry tree
in my back yard i respect its stature
and its wisdom and i wonder if it
recognizes me, standing there, admiring
its expanding and stretching of its arms upward
trying to touch the strolling clouds

i know when i caress my two pups and stroke
them with a tenderness of care while whispering
in their ear of how their unconditional love affects
me, i tell them how they touch my heart and
the spirit of my soul and so they look up at me,
kiss me with their tiny tongues upon my chin

at this time, my dawning years, still i try to understand
of love, in all its forms, so that when i tell you
‘i love you’, you’ll understand from whence it
comes, it's not just of my heart but from the bones
of my bones, blood of my blood, the depth
of my soul and when i speak these words to you
you’ll want to whistle then raise your arms up to try
and touch the clouds and you’ll kiss my cheek

27 comments:

  1. heartfelt emotions..................always go till eternity and beyond...............

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a heart-warming piece :D Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. when we connect in whatever form we connect with a bird, a tree or our canine children through the day, we are connecting through the eyes of love in different forms. when we connect with our lover it is a human connection but because we are most sentient we must love deeply. hope this helps

      Delete
  4. I so wonder which of these really reciprocates our affection though .. hopefully our children, but since I cannot speak cardinal you might be quarrelsome in your whistling (smiles).. maybe what is important that we feel a mutual feeling is what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the sensing of love is important in the giving and receiving, indeed this a a complex yet beautiful poem

    have a nice Tuesday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you connected nature with the love for your family. Both are extremely important

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I can relate. This is achingly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wandering, old-world philosopher feeling to these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love is such a wondrous thing... We--especially when we're young, methinks--try so to love like we want to be loved. But then we learn, we pay attention and see... until we know that loving another person is giving them what they want, not what we think they should have have.

    Your words are lovely, and insightful...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your poem stunned me until I realized the "kids" were in truth pups and not children! But then, I relaxed into it and felt the spirituality of the senses and the hope that love communicates. What a gorgeous poem. (I suggest a small word change.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "at this time, my dawning years, still i try to understand / of love, in all its forms,..." ....the most essential part to possess to give and receive love..a beautiful poem...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I resonate deeply with the phrase Sumana noted, and love your giving heart - love you and the cardinals whistling back and forth, you and the pups sharing love..."so that when I tell you 'I love you' you'll know from whence it comes." It comes from a very giving heart, mi amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The is a real sense of the body touching the spiritual and enveloping the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely sensuality here, a yoking of the body and spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting question.. love the way you can or the way that suits the other person best! Will what you get in return change?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sigh! What a lovely poem, with such heartfelt intensity. It truly makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How important it is to connect with everything we share the world with around us. If we think a bird or tree or the sea is beautiful we should be still just for moment and think that and make a connection. You left then has not been wasted. Excellent post Marcoantonio.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you’ll want to whistle then raise your arms up to try
    and touch the clouds and you’ll kiss my cheek

    It'll take time to win over the feelings of someone but once done it lingers on. How very true Marco! Great ending!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderfully meditative piece..a real sense of mindfulness in action..appreciating the here and now and what we have..

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful poem. It resonates with me because I believe love is the answer to all questions, to all problems. I'm accused of being naive. But your poem speaks to my heart. (I have two pups too and understand how that love enhances all other loves.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. nature really is the point where we learn to appreciate life and love isnt it? It's a beautiful song ...

    ReplyDelete