Saturday, January 3, 2015

a wish

what i behold is not what you behold
the aesthetics of my vision are shaped
by my heart, my mind, my experience,
my choice and yours is of the like, but
yours is yours

i cry for the soul that suffers
whose mouth has not chewed food
for so long, whose taste has not had
the pleasure of its liking, and one whose
skin has not felt the warmth of cotton

i must on occasion allow myself to discard
the seemingly unmitigating anguish within
like when witness to a human having passed away
alone in an uncaring and lonely street as
his only friend, a canine, laying by his side,
growling at anyone's approach. undying friendship

i wish sometimes to be blind to all this,
that my heart and soul could not feel this anymore
i wish that my disdain and anger for this
could be felt by the same broken heart, by more

that those who still have but a caring heart
a human kindness, not beset by self imparted
ideology, religiosity or bigotry, would rise and act
against the presence of this inhumanity

i say now in word, stated maybe unjustly by the
limitations of my limited abilities with words,
that when, as destiny will determine when my
soul shall depart, it will be with love in my heart
for all who shared my vision

like the lonely soul i witnessed in the street who’s soul
seemingly departed alone, i share with him similar
moments where in life some family and friends and passing
random acquaintances feigned affection.

when time comes i shall lay my body down somewhere
devoid of all possessions, worldly anchors, but only
with my canine friend by my side and if lucky,
my human love holding my hand

 


9 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful wish to make. All people wish that they can help someone or something that is in need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So heartfelt,so poignant, Marco.....I too feel for that lonely soul, who died with his dog by his side. That just kills me - for his aloneness and, too, for the heart of the dog, who now has no one and whose life will be even harder. I love your closing lines too which hope your own, and my own passing will be lovingly accompanied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we could go from wish to action.. I cannot understand those that are filled with hate for those less fortunate, but what I blame myself for my inability to act... A dog is still beside him when he dies, the only heart that's big enough. Great writing Marco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. some deep thoughts here... i see great compassion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poems are always so heartfelt and poignant. They seem to come from a place very deep within your soul. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all think about ourselves but a true soul think about others too, and your soul is true. To feel the pain of others is a blessing and if one is able to heal it, its assuring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You express such sincerity and simplicity here--it is moving and genuine to read and makes my heart feel sore but also glad, because so seldom are words that are needed as much as these ever said, let alone said this eloquently. ' i wish sometimes to be blind to all this,/that my heart and soul could not feel this anymore" --yes, exactly---and your ending also was very resonant for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your expressive wish to relieve people their injustices. it's refreshing to see this viewpoint in light of the horrible media stories we see everyday. every now and then, though, you see something that renews your hope in the human spirit...this poem does just that.

    ReplyDelete