Monday, October 20, 2014

northern wind


spring, when it arrives brings enlightenment,
refreshes my soul
but when Autumn ascends it envelops
my being with introspection

i see change before my eyes
where bright greens, reds and yellows
turn to browns, auburns and russets
the strong stout arms of trees
become brittle and their thistle, tassels and
leafy garb drop covering their rooted toes

the warm breath of summer
now bristles with cool in the mornings,
the days are powdered with grey
and the wind blows down
from the northern sky

this brings me to notice that time
now running quicker as dusk to dawn
seem to arrive closer and all else 
moves at a pace of languor  

i pause to cherish the change
yet the quibble within me is of the
notion that my wish of loving and
being loved is not slowed by the winds
of the north

and while i sit alone pondering
lifes’ moment, somewhere in the
distant not of place or time,
all of this will not have been
in vain

 

12 comments:

  1. thoughtful musings in tune with season change.and no, these are not in vain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the advantage of the autumn change is the forbearance of the spring.. The certainty that things will change again make change acceptable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn is a wonderful metaphor for middle age, which is the stage of life where I am. In many ways, I wouldn't trade it for the spring, there is a lot I like about it. However, I find there is so much left undone.
    You have crafted a beautiful poem!
    http://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2014/10/octpowrimo-2014-day-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The change at Spring and Autumn always makes me pensive. It is so closely linked to our own cycles of life and death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this:
    "notion that my wish of loving and
    being loved is not slowed by the winds
    of the north"
    I like how you brought such a common human desire into this personal story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The magnificent aura of nature always fills a soul with the truest of thoughts. This is lovely as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your rich, colorful details of the seasons. my favorite would have to be autumn. i always look forward to those brown leaves, the way they crunch beneath my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not in vain at all.........I resonate with the more introspective feelings we have as the seasons change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "rooted toes" I like that. Yes, not in vain - introspective and stillness is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Loved the way you described the details so vividly :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly not in vain!!! Fall is my favorite month, perhaps as the light is less harsh. There is a cocoon of warm light, more in color than in temperature, but I still feel warmer in it. Such is the nature of a pluviophile :) Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete