Friday, June 6, 2014

letter from Jules


dear papa

your tears do not go unnoticed by me
even though most might consider me just a dog
i have feelings too. i appreciate when you take me
for a walk, when you throw the ball
when then we sit together in the grassy knoll
and watch things and sticks flow down the stream
i want so much to jump in to catch that darn stick
that thinks it’s getting away. i remember that one
time i did and you had to come in and rescue me.
i would have been ok but you showed how much
you cared for me.

i notice lately my legs are not as agile like when I
used to chase you around the tree or in the park
when you’d bring my sister Jaz so that we could chase
each other till our tongues were dragging in the
grass. i notice my eyes can’t see things much any
more and am having trouble hearing your call…"Jules"
i love it when you call my name. i love it when you pick
me up and we sit together on your favorite couch, you
reading or writing something on that screen thingy and
i lay my head on your lap.

hey papa, i know i’m getting old because we go to the
doctor more often lately. i want you to know papa
that all we can do is hold each other tight while we
still can. we don’t even have to say the words
because our hearts tell our story. don’t cry too much
papa when i’ve left for my next journey. i know you will
and it’s ok if it makes you feel better. we will see each other
in the next journey beyond soon. you’re no spring chicken
either (ooh, i love chicken). hey papa, i want you to know
i love you and you were the best friend and papa
ever.


your child
jules    



* written for imaginary garden with real toads imagined by               Herotomost, 'Lost Art/letter writing' challenge

11 comments:

  1. Damn....tearing up a little over here. that is sweet and somber and full of love. I love the Chicken line, adds a bit of lightheartedness to an otherwise heartfelt expression of pure puppy love. Loved this a lot and want to thank you for playing.

    My Best,

    Herotomost (Squirrel!!!!) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i almost couldn't read it through... that pain i know too well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herotomost may be tearing up, but I'm bawling.....

    Too many old dogs on my life at present to not feel this in every chamber of my heart. Thanks for speaking on their behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my friend, I am in tears and have this big LUMP in my throat and my heart hurts. The hardest goodbyes are to these special devoted loving creatures who are all and only Love. I know Jules is a happy guy, because he has been well-loved. I am so sorry this time is coming close. How you will miss that beautiful little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is heart-breaking but totally beautiful all at once. I'm with Kerry, bawling. My 15 year old girl Jade passed a year ago on May 16th. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. there is nothing that compares to the pureness of love that is witnessed when unconditional love is shared. gracias to all of you for visiting and sharing your heartfelt messages

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me cry, as soon as I realized it was from a furbaby to his/her dad I started tearing up and at the end I could barely read for the tears. It is purely magic, especially how, in the midst of all the sadness and in just the way a dog would, the words spring chicken makes Jules think of food... Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so true and so real, Marco. I think it is exactly how one's dog would talk if it could tell you what was important. There is love here, and faith and trust and sheer joy, that humans lose somewhere in that transition to adulthood, though I think all things in creation are born with it--dogs help us find it again with their own love and joy. Best wishes for as many more good times together as you can have with your Jules.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Letter from Jules is priceless ... and, yes I confess to a few tears!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you can add me to the list of those tearing up. Such a heartfelt piece.

    ReplyDelete