Monday, October 21, 2013

"And they call it, puppy love"


sky changes hue from mornings
thru mid day to evening
the clouds they soar
some stratus fast some cottons slow

days go by, weeks and
months travel in packs
they bundle in years

change is constant, chaos its drink
yet through all this, love is the same
there’s blue, there’s grey, there’s red
and there's unconditional

when first I knew love
was from it’s absence
clouds covering the sun,
stars not appearing at night,
when she walked away

doc told me today
my little one is being taken away
by an insidious malady
his cuddles and warmth
soon to be replaced,
abounding my day, with tears

I used to push love away
not deserving of it
abandoned as a child
uncaring cold took its place
then one day love swallowed my heart

love is a curious spirit
sometimes I wish I’d never
known it so in its absence
the pain would not be so great

Oh well, if through my latter years
the changes and chaos of the universe
should leave room for me to witness love again
I’ll probably hold it, embrace it and hope
if its absence rears again
it will be when my eyes have, forever, closed  

6 comments:

  1. Oh, mi amigo, the saddest news of all. Poor Jules - loving little being of joy, whom you have loved so well. You know how well I know the pain in your heart. I still cry for Pup two and a half years later and for the same reason as in your poem, "when I first knew love was in its absence" - in my life Pup is the one being who loved me best. It is so hard to lose them. I thank God your wife is near to comfort you. But I know the pain that is on its way and have been knowing this news would come since you first wrote about his aging. I am so sorry. Hold him close and tell him all you need to say while you still can. I so wish I could have fifteen minutes more with Pup. I am nearby, kiddo, when you need support and understanding. I am in tears over Jules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias mi amigas. lo siento, mi amiga, TexWisGirl, pero es la verdad! (sorry, mi friend, TexWisGirl, but it's the truth!) a life reality

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this. You are a kind owner (pets are family!). How odd that I was just writing about dogs...maybe to send you some healing energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Hannah. i felt that when i read your piece

    gracias for your sentiment and visiting

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this sad poem. I am so sorry about the bad news for your dog. I know how much you love them and they you. My own friend (my poodle, Soni) was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor some months ago. So far, he's doing well, but I dread the day that he isn't. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete