Friday, June 28, 2013

Lost in the Vastness


I was told
look for that large ocean
it has it all
the grandness of size
the vastness of space
where all that swims resides
it is greater than all the
streams, rivers and lakes

In my world
when I would swim in streams
I felt like a large
yellow goldfish
then in fresh river water
I would be the
talk of all the fins
I wouldn’t scale back
showing off the pinkness
of my skin
and in the lake
I was king

But then when I reached
the ocean
most large it was
with all the varying types
but the waves were too large
with time my scales
became feathered
I was small in its vastness
naked and bare
I had lost my identity

I struggled in
the oceans tide
became tired quickly
couldn’t swim with the
stream and floundered
and floundered
till I lay my head
on the beach to
sleep

12 comments:

  1. Such a universal experience you write about here. I can relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed and insufficient when we leave our own little worlds and venture out to something bigger. Sometimes I like being a big fish in a small pond better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love the extended metaphor that you've explored here. This poem speaks clearly and resonates on many levels with me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias mi amigas. I know many times our voices, our words, mirror each others. We just use different words different ways of expressing universal commonalities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen a better take on "the little fish in the big blue sea." Thanks for posting and viva la

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love your description of swimming in the lake. Perfect metaphor for life as children, then adults. I know being an adult has sure tuckered ME out! Smiles. Good one, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I was small in its vastness
    naked and bare
    I had lost my identity"

    I like that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life has a way of swallowing us or making us fearful when we move beyond our little secluded space...beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Touches me at the moment - very much feel like I am floudering in the sea of life. Nicely captured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of metaphor, as we move through life we can either be overwhelmed or opened to the new, but it can be exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "till I lay my head
    on the beach to
    sleep"
    That struggle can be exhausting at times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this expresses so well the big dreams and innocent self-importance of childhood giving way to the reality of adulthood.

    ReplyDelete