Sunday, June 23, 2013

balance act


Observed this young squirrel
traversing the slightest of limbs
carefully it balances itself
but suddenly it missteps
falls at least three limbs from
the lowest limb
falls on the ground but on
its feet then scurries
back up the tree

I feel like that squirrel
yet when I’ve fallen
from high up I’ve
not fallen on my feet
and I’ve been gravely hurt
not so much physically
but in the heart and mind
my soul laments but
feels that no one hears
its howls and whispers

Not, ‘woe is me’
just an observation
for there are many
squirrels attempting
this balance act
and have fallen
hurt from the fall
unable to scurry back up
or choose not to attempt
that challenge again

5 comments:

  1. Very nice comparison of one's fall , rise and hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we do all have to force ourselves back up, dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, TexwisGirl, that is a choice to be made

    Thanx you two for stopping by and leaving a bread crum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so relate to the balancing act, as I spend most of my life behind a brave smile, trying not to fall off the branch. I especially hear "no one hears its howls and whispers." Good one, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your analogy to squirrels. On the other hand, over the years we've had two failed trapeze artist squirrels self-destruct in our back yard. :)

    ReplyDelete