Thursday, June 6, 2013

I Remember


I remember:

this large grandiose mountain
standing hovering over our little house
at the end of our dirt road
in Torreon, Coahuila Mexico

the adobe house with an open
roof in the middle courtyard of my abuelito’s
casa where mamasita and us kids stayed
after papa abandoned us

sleeping on a concrete floor, roofless courtyard,
in the middle of my grandparents house
grandma would keep her chickens, hens
and a couple of roosters

at night I’d lay looking up at the sky
admiring the twinkling stars
I could see the tip of this mountain
kissing the moon and tantalizing the stars

ten years pass, I’m laying in the back yard
now at Mamasitas house in Northern Indiana
looking up at the stars and noticing they’re
the same one’s I witnessed in Mexico
except two new ones, probably my abuelitos,
having joined to share the night sky’s opus

I Remember:

last night I laid out in my patio
looking up at this concert of twinkling
and noticed a star bristling brighter than
all the rest, I think it was mamasita winking at me

my love and I have no biologic children
so I wonder sometime in the future will
someone look up at the dazzling night sky
and notice my wife smiling and
me winking down at them?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, this is stunning. I loved reading your memories. I can picture your grandparents' house, and the chickens and hens. How beautiful to sleep with a view of the mountain!! And the stars. And then the transition to Indiana. Amazing, isn't it, to realize these are the same stars that were above the house in Mexico. And I am sure that someday someone WILL look up and see you and your wife looking down. There are others, besides children, in your life who will remember you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to put a NEW link into Poets United. The one you put in is incorrect and leads nowhere. Put in a different one...same name..but write CORRECTED next to it so people can find you here. Your poem is too good to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, nene! I love the idea that the stars are our loved ones. That's very reassuring! I, too, am sure that someone will look up at the stars one night and think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly lovely, and very moving - I can see that little boy looking up at the stars - and now, the man. Fantastic writing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had an atmospheric drama to it, lovely words and tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful - love the thought of looking up to see your loved ones watching over you from the stars! Great memories to treasure with your abuelito!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias to all of you, amigas y amigos, for visiting me, sharing a moment of remembrance and leaving a petal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came back for another read, and it is just as good, mi amigo!

    ReplyDelete