Monday, June 3, 2013

lilacs in the field


the heart shatters
wer’st you not
to stay

after so much
laughter
after so much
play

we ran through
lilacs in the field
while the wheat
being tilled
we dared to lay
there still

the red blood sky
appeared and we
laid there waiting
for its sun dressed kiln

didn’t have cares to worry
only sweat beads
from our brow
two clammy little hands
clenched together
we’d be friends forever

no one or anything
would part our hearts
much like Moses
with the Egyptians
and the seas

the calm and peace
we gathered in those moments
would tether us forever
even in this after life
where your token’s
now being spent

no one can separate
our two hearts
or send our souls
asunder
we lay there, still,
with the lilacs
in the field

7 comments:

  1. Oh I can see those two little friends, lying midst the lilacs and the wheat under a golden sun. Beautiful, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the two little clammy hands hanging on to each other..
    Can smell the scent of lilacws coming in thru my open window. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I specially like the ending verse, there is calm and gratitude in your words ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. the two clammy hands beneath the red blood sky...

    and the ending stanza... tore my heart out! A very special poem of friendship, of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marco, this speaks of the innocence of childhood friendship. Sometimes it blooms into love, but my "clammy hand" held that of my best friend, John, a gay ex-priest. We are still always there for each other.

    The afterlife reference... it sounds as though you lost this companion. I hope it's not autobiographical, but if it is, my heart aches for you. Such an expressive poem. Peace, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have received much positive feedback on this piece. My thoughts were with intentions of creating an imagination by a child. I know that lilacs don't grow in fields but when you're a child with moments of reverie everything grows in your field.

    Thank you to those of you who traveled here with me

    ReplyDelete