Sunday, July 1, 2012

I Hearken Stillness

The stillness is calming
the clouds have slowed their pace
the sun has not yet
shut its eyes
but the moon is ironically
yawning for its awakening

The days wet heat has begun
to succumb to the breath of
the evening air and the songs
of crickets and cicadas
have replaced the harmonies
of the wren, the cardinal and the blue jay

The white cotton patches slithering up high
have begun to reflect a crimson rouge
from the suns sleepy eyes
and the day has become
the evening where it lies back
and it rests

The calm is ethereal unlike
not too far from here
an angry Nature’s wrath has
woven an ugly arboreal
display upon earth’s chest

4 comments:

  1. This poem made me feel the way the sun must feel, setting. It is after 11 p.m. here, much too late for me to be awake. Reading a few poems before sleep - yours is a beautiful one, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting on my patio in the evening with a glass of wine.

    Sleep well mi amiga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem lulled me into a calm but then the last stanza gave me a jolt. Even when our place in the world is calm, there is always someplace else where chaos reigns.

    ReplyDelete