Friday, June 29, 2012

A State of Mind



Three weeks have passed and so to
have three friends and acquaintances
ne’r since 1971 have I shown up for these
traditional ’howling’ exercises seemingly
consoling those who have not departed

Not insensitive nor wanting to be
a downer but I wish to remember
these interlopers into my life
as fond human exchanges of faces
with smiles and not stuffed encases

But they come and they go
so quickly down my road
some say hi and stay awhile
and some just prick me with
their style and their smile

Mortality has poked me
with its long dark staff as I
observe those with saddened tears
of anguish and loss, dressed in
their own destined attire

Unlike most, instead of ‘folding within
like a flower sleeping at the end
of it’s season’ this refreshes my cognition,
regenerates my verve, awakens me
like that flower ’ leaving a little room
to start again’.

So when my eyes’ turn to close
let me go gently in the night
and I wish for you to sleep
knowing in the morning
awaits you a new sunrise

‘youth is wasted on the young’

4 comments:

  1. Nene, my dad used to say youth is wasted on the young all the time. Now I know what he meant. So sorry you have come face to face with mortality so strongly this past while. Same at this end. It really makes us realize we have to tie up all the loose ends, not just drift along letting things go........all I need is time to do it. I so love your closing wish, my friend......especially the reminder to those left behind of the new sunrise awaiting them. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a ceremony which celebrates the person and their life, but don't like sewing them after they are gone. I could do without that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesterday at work a dear co-worker said to me of my sick mother, i think you are giving up too easily. she is very ill and i do not know if she will recover and so i prepare myself for what will, at one time or another, surely come, and by prepare i only mean accept. but my friend would have me fight in spirit and i want to know, with whom would i fight? it would only be with myself.

    do we have a choice but to love? oh, we do. and we do wrongly by one another AND ourselves when we choose otherwise. and so i reprimand myself today for some of my actions yesterday, and i go more hopefully into tomorrow.

    )))))

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. grief takes many forms. i don't think anyone is ever ready to let go, really.

    thanks for finding my blog. i have a niece and nephew that live in the green bay area right now (as well as some cousins i don't really know well). :)

    ReplyDelete