Friday, April 6, 2012

Dream of Dreaming

Dreams; do they come to those that are homeless
in their card board boxes, in their tents
constantly rustling about in their sleep,
their overalls or trousers stiff and crested with
dried dampness from either self infliction
or the overnight dew that at one time
would have been a pleasurable waft
in the early morning rise

If they dream, do they dream
about childhood pleasures
like running and playing in back yards
parents smiles and siblings chasing,
swings and slides?

Do they dream about warmth
in beds under fresh with sheets and

blankets embroidered by mothers,
pleasant aromas coming from
kitchens, mama's pies, belly sated,

then sitting out in the patio or
taking for walks Ben or Ruffy or Lady

Do they dream of those things
we have so readily in hand,

embraced with comfort and love
and sometimes forget of these
small pleasures that to them
are dreams of dreamings?

3 comments:

  1. Nice thoughts ..I haven't dreamt or even remember now my dreams when I wake up. But its a weekend, I dream of waking up late and taking my time leisurely ~

    Have a good day ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder that as well. They probably don't sleep well enough to really dream very much, but that's just my guess. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very poignant. A great reminder not to take for granted the small pleasures that must seem like unimaginable heaven to the dispossessed. I love your compassionate worldview, Nene.

    ReplyDelete