Thursday, November 19, 2020

river runs without me, still

 

went to sit on the river’s bank

where i used to more frequently in

earlier days when my spirit needed

to be healed, be rejuvenated and

needing to understand myself, my

place in Nature and the universe

 

sat back on the incline of the bank

listening to the running water clash

upon stones and fallen branches and

the chorus of feathered friends perched

on branches of weeping willows that

hover somber o’er the river and me

 

i look down the one side of the river

bank and notice a pair of empty shoes

skillfully placed together and asked

myself…where and I hope not, that

whose shoes they belong, they did not

decide to leave them behind forever

 

sauntering up to go look closer to the

shoes i feel cool grass blades between

my toes and looking down and i have

no shoes on then realizing i had dozed

off into a spiritual trance forgetting I’d

removed my shoes to feel the earth

 

am grateful that the river doesn’t have

a foreign interloper swimming lifeless

with the catfish on the bottom with the

muck and so i walk over to pick up my

shoes to stroll another day amidst the

somber willows, the river and sky above

No comments:

Post a Comment