Sunday, August 14, 2016

pondering

this evening i sit alone and quiet
atop an old oak tree's rooted feet
listen to the wind brush the leaves
watch the cloud figurines soar above
as the sky turns orange and crimson
and the sun lies down to rest and sleep
at the feet of mother earth

i ponder the many steps i’ve taken
throughout the days of yore
of faces passing with frowns and smiles
hearts forsaken of love lost and the tears
shed, unremitting, in the lonely nights
missing those now absent in this life

here and now, gathering thoughts
along with memories, how rich my heart
has felt from those who have touched it
both at a distance from human empathy
to the fortunes of a warm embrace, maybe
a kiss here and there or just holding ever so
gently of my hand

i wonder if and when my breath shall cease
in partaking of this earthen bound, my soul
shall be gifted with pockets filled with love
where i can take to share with the souls of others
that maybe weren’t so lucky, filling theirs
with a love that was meant for all


8 comments:

  1. Love the sense of being in sharing... it does not really takes that much... just doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very beautiful, my friend....the richness of a heart that has known much love, the pangs of missing those who are gone and, most beautifully, the wish to share the overflow with those who were less blessed. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wishes are my desires too as age marches on. How beautifully this is written in a relaxed and comforting way. (P.S. Your link on Poets United does not work so I had to find my way through the back door!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, when the soft west wind comes we ride high to meet in the summerland, and I find oak trees to be the spire of natures religon. I enjoyed reading your poignant poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I specially admire the last stanza Marco ~ May you continue to share that pocket of love to others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'cloud figurines...' I like that, and the sun sleeping, and the sense of time being culled for the moments and feelings and memories that matter.

    ReplyDelete