Tuesday, February 23, 2016

the calm after a storm


witnessed the calm after a storm
the flashing lightning only,
no more loud crack of thunder.
the howling gray wind settles
to a soothing swirling breeze
and the leaves that once were
dancing wildly in gusts, along with
the branches they perched upon,
now lay as martyrs at my feet.
my hair unkempt, doth looks primordial

when never before had i witnessed
a storm such as this. filled with fear
and hearted breath, i thought the end was
near of all that i am from my nascence.
a witness to this storm, my heart beats twice,
three times faster than all the days before
of when my life, within, there was innocence 
walking with me in my youthful days of yore
and when hurt and scared would tap me on my
shoulder, a maternal arm would gently rest 
upon me to soothe my mournful soul

now witness to the wisdom of age teaches me 
how to ride storms both of Nature’s anger 
and the wrath of life within, having learned 
of how all is in balance in the end;
for without the storm, calm wouldn’t be
without breath there wouldn’t be you and me
and in the presence of fear, breathing deep,
with open eyes, an unclenched fist
and an open heart, comes a balance
bringing joy and warnth of love, near

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like a fearsome storm. I love the closing stanza especially, where the eyes, the heart, stay open. Way to be, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having learned all is in balance in the end... yes to become aware of that is the essence of the journey. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "now witness to the wisdom of age teaching me
    me how to ride storms both of Nature’s anger
    and the wrath of life within having learned
    all is in balance in the end;"...i can so relate to this...and the last two lines are really for deep breathing...beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow, wow. Such experience is the kind of witness that--when so vividly and clearly expressed--can change us all.

    (Leave a message for me at Poets United if you want me to link this poem.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. witness to this storm my heart beat twice,
    three times faster than all the days before
    of when in my life, within, was innocence
    walking with me in my youthful days of yore

    Wonderful lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, there are storms in all our lives. Hopefully, in the end we realize all really is in balance. You've captured much wisdom here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the expert of expression! dang, you got a gift for expressing yourself in words. thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The beauty of a storm is to appreciate everything you encounter in life. Rage and calm are part of our lives both on the inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This poem speaks so well to the power of Nature and the strength in release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. luv the resignation to natures good sense of balance
    "all is in balance in the end;"

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amigo, I upgraded my computer system and lost some of my email addresses. Will you please email me at wildwoman2@shaw.ca so I can update my address book? Thanks, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a storm that must be. We face such storms daily, within our hearts, with barely any protection, just the age old wisdom within our grasp.

    A delightful piece indeed. Warm greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life can be a storm of giant proportions! Very well said!

    ReplyDelete