Saturday, April 18, 2015

my lips kiss thee


one week from today in the annals of time,
the twenty-fifth of April, i shall be one year older
and to proffer from this i shall say
to the wrinkles on my brow and to
the sag of skin where once the vanity
of youth had muscularity derived ,
my mind is still curious and non-sated 
consuming every moment ever so tenderly
and most gracefully  

still i bathe in the portentous waves in the sea 
and shall until my step no longer moves forward
or my hands no longer feel, or mine eyes can
no longer see the beauty of the night and day
and the eyes and hair of my lover so if i have to 
i shall request books in brail or a voice to read
the words of poets while music plays

i shall ask for the waft of flowers to always be
by my bedside with the window open so i can
hear when the morning comes from the song of
birds cheering the sun to rise and although i’ll
probably not sleep much for the fear of not waking
when the time comes that i must close mine eyes
to sleep and dream the dreams of all who left
before me, i shall ask a favor of thee, kiss softly
my lips, my lovely, so i can take thee with me

20 comments:

  1. So very beautiful. That sounds like a beautiful way to make that passing, my friend.........a lovely and positive outlook. It resonates so deeply with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a peaceful and lovely way to think about our time left here on earth. Happy early birthday (that's my anniversary-22 years!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a happy birthday in advance...may the soul remain ageless...a beautiful poem.."i shall request books in brail or a voice to read / the words of poets while music plays"..such thoughts also cross my mind sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really a gentle poem, Marcoantonio. Somehow I have the feeling that, though you have a birthday on the horizon, you will always be young at heart until that moment when you have that final kiss of love from someone who you are sure to meet again. Happy birthday in advance. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful song of love...Happy Birthday...may there be many more to come

    ReplyDelete
  6. How heartbreaking this is and so real as we all must accept that time the enemy waits patiently for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the gentleness of this. A birthday is such an excellent point to contemplate the time that flow in the direction.. Happy Birtday in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy early birthday, Marcoantonio! Birthdays are often a time for reflection but your poem is both reflective and romantic. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great attitude towards growing older! Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely & gentle poem... depicting the air of romance...
    Happy Birthday in advance :D
    Have a wonderful time celebrating :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely....I read that if someone is going to die in his/her sleep it is most likely to happen between 3 and 4 am because that is when the body is the weakest....so maybe just stay awake between those hours ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely piece, tenderly rendered ... your wonderful wordsmithing gives it a "bit of the Bard" vibe that it so romantic and timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed this. As one gets older, one realizes the preciousness of each good day that one still has one's health and senses. Hope you have a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A devotion that's worth celebrating. Lovely sentiments all throughout. Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. An instant favourite. Every line and every word. If I can say, I'd wish the same for myself.

    Also, Happy Birthday, in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete