Thursday, December 11, 2014

human rights


was but a child of eight
walking on a street so foreign
in a country so strange
felt all alone

a stranger strikes me in my stomach
expels all breath inside me
he runs away and yells…
‘go back home where you belong’

incessant tears cascade my face,
running running not stopping until at my front door
mamasita comes up to me…’que paso mijo’?
i asked..’what’s wrong with me, mama’?

she sits me down with her hand
tears are wiped from my face
gives me a tortilla with butter, sugar
sprinkles, looks at me and says
‘nene, te falta nada, eres un angel’
(nothing is wrong with you, my angel)

hate, I’ve learned, arises for different reasons;
because of differences, because of fears,
insecurities gathered through the years
are groomed by ignorance, stupidity is the
attire of choice.

to this day my stomach aches not from
a strangers hand but from the strain
of hatred running through people’s veins
that cause human rights violations on the
disenfranchised via prejudice, bigotry , racism
with insidiousness for oligarchic gains

 

[ for Poets United Midweek Motif ~ Human Rights

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Ouch! "stupidity is the
    attire of choice."

    But it is others who bear the wounds along with the awareness and empathy and social maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, "stupidity is the attire of choice" - it could not be said any better. I can see that little boy, and his loving mamasita wiping away his tears. And I can feel the stomach still aching with the pain of prejudice, bigotry,and racism. When will enough of us ever grow whole on this planet, my friend? We keep waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope we can keep educating people until they get over such attitudes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot understand how you can feel hatred in another person just because how they look.. I heard the other day of young girls here in Sweden spitting in the face of beggars... I wonder how hatred can really grow.

    ReplyDelete