Friday, May 9, 2014

he ponders


he ponders, he sits and he ponders
what did, what if, why didn’t
time passes and it now lingers on
movement is active in the synapse
but the body sits dormant
he lives vicariously

he writes about what he thinks
what he sees and hears,
reads about what has occurred
somewhere, sometime and by
someone else. the earth moves
yet he sits still, pondering

listen. rumbling, rolling wheels
on rail tracks. the sound approaches
from somewhere afar. an engine whistle
blows, the heavy car on railroad tracks
steel wheels on steel rails shrill
to a squeal followed by a thrust of air
escaping from hydraulic brakes

from inside the belly of these
moving cars scurry out bipedal beings
and waiting to fill their space
queues of others herd themselves
into the now empty cars of the locomotive
taking them somewhere,
leaving someone and some place

sitting, his legs crossed like Hemmingway
the brim of his hat now shadow
his eyes. he observes the scampering
people rambling about like worker ants

a whistle blows and a loud release
escapes the compressed steam
the rolling wagon on steel wheels
moves on to that somewhere place
as he sits there, pondering

 

11 comments:

  1. i sometimes feel like this individual - just watching life race on by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time when I felt I was too consumed with capturing life and I wasn't LIVING life. I was writing about it, or photographing it, trying to hold on to something so tightly that I wasn't actually engaged in the physicality of experience. I stopped writing and photographing for quite a while, now I am trying to find balance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all the worker ants envy him having the time to sit and ponder. I definitely prefer my porch swing to the ratrace. Loved this, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To just sit and observe can be somewhat like a bliss.. but it's also very provocative in today's super-effecient world...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes a relaxing moment to sit an ponder. Very good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it feels like a luxury to be able to sit and watch the bustling world from a distance. But to live vicariously can also mean we forget to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sometimes i love to sit and observe and read - but i also need to live life myself- experience things - feel them on my own skin to feel alive..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this picture of time being savored leisurely by the speaker...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt I was wondering and pondering as people pass me by, going off in different places ~ Wishing you Happy Weekend ~

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the reference to Hemingway for any good writer removes himself floats above the scene and soaks in every bit of it.
    Well done poem.

    ReplyDelete