Saturday, August 18, 2012

Once More



don’t know how long
i shall awaken upon this earth
how many more steps
i shall walk in this world

how many mornings shall
greet me with glorious fury
or starry nights shall tickle
my fancy with wishes

if i can but once more
sit at the base of
the Rocky Mountains
and waggle my naked feet
and hands on pristine streams

i’d like to once again
see visions of the ocean's vastness
and their black of night
listen to the osprey and seagulls cawings
and the deep water fin fare

can i once more
touch the hand of naïve love
where only the gleam in the eyes
and that silent smile of desire
embracing two, yet,
uncontaminated hearts

listen to the violins
that Mozart commanded
titillating keys of Chopin and Liszt
voices of Lanza and Groban, Streisand
and Whitney, Nat King Cole and Vandross

inscribe on my epitaph some words
of Shakespeare, Shelley, Emily,
who would be read by passersby
and maybe by chance would look
upon my headstone and ask
'who was he and why'?

7 comments:

  1. Oh this is poignant, my friend. I so have those feelings too.......hopefully the poems we leave behind will be a way for our loved ones to remember us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias mi amigas. It's the simple and ordinary that give me inspirational pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is about being able to savor the best.

    I've walked passed interesting gravestones and wonder who the person was and how they lived.

    Thank you for this contemplative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all seem to have that feeling that once we are gone will people care, who we was and what kind of person we was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem quite thoughtful these days. There is so much to appreciate in the simple things in Life. Actually, sitting among gravestones in a cemetery on a nice day is very peaceful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imagine that Lola. Notice you all's responses are quite pensive, also.

    Gracias mi amigas

    ReplyDelete