Monday, April 16, 2012

"eyes wide open"

Wide open, my eyes came to be
yesterday
my heart beat quickened
as if I had just ran a mile,
my breath stoking, choking
holding back 'man' tears

I noticed my friend's
long time biker gal sitting
next to a sparsely haired, frail
looking gentleman, thinking her dad,
approached her to say hi
this gentlemans's shaky hand with folds
of leathery jaundiced colored skin,
reached out and touched my arm
I  turned, I was looking into the eyes
of my friend

Just but a few months ago
he’d stand six feet three inches
two hundred and eighty pounds
he gingerly stands to hug me
he’s six foot at most while hunched
now only at one hundred and twenty and
his arms once the size of my thighs,
skeletal limbs of hanging yellow skin
embrace me, now

I was invited to support a Cancer fund raiser
unsuspecting it for my friend who but
two months ago he'd saddle a Harley ‘Fatboy’
which looked like a child’s bike strattled
between his large thighs,
a Budweiser in his hand miniturized
like a small concentrated juice can,
poignantly, a noticable slight brown stain drips
from his lip down his chin from his 'chew'
underneath his puffed lower lip

We smiled, knowingly one last hug, our eyes met
and I whispered " your God will smile on you"
I walked away, breathless, saddened,
my wife’s hand tightly in mine
knowing this donation was for him,
but the contribution of this moment
is a lasting one for so many more

9 comments:

  1. it is so difficult when the body is so convincing. love to all of you. these are not easy times for anyone.

    i am particularly intrigued by something, nene, your use of the word your - "your God will smile on you". this word alone is its own poem.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. So very touching and sad. I'm guessing this has to be from life...so much feeling in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, yes you spoke directly to my underlying impetus behind why I wrote 'your God will smile on you'. We are in a time where we're all concerned about our world and its future and must all make amends to our own personal maker. Gracias for your insight. ?-)

    Hanna, this is a real friend of mine who I visited last week at this benefit. I really didn't know he was going do be there nor did I have any notion that his deterioration had progressed so quickly.

    Gracias for your visit 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so sad and haunting. YOU wrote it so well, I can see him in my mind's eye~ I loved your words!
    Sending prayers to you and your friend~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ella. Your words and visit is so interwoven into me. Gracias mi amiga

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could feel your sadness as well as your love in this poem, nene. I appreciate how you are so respectful of others' beliefs as well. It does not go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Nene, what a shock to have come upon such a transformation in your friend. I love what you whispered to him. Love that your wife held your hand as you walked away, caring for your pain. Sigh. Life has its sad moments, like these but, through the love of a friend, you transformed this situation and let it be all about love. Way to be!

    ReplyDelete