Friday, March 9, 2012

Applause, Applause

‘Death’
applauded so readily
while curtains still open
this act has not finished
still many lines yet to speak
projecting with my own theatrics
upon an audience living vicarious lives
they’re standing in anticipation
longing to applaud in ovation
for my last act to finish and
for the curtains to close

Some of my co-thespians
have acted their roles
they’ve spoken their lines
have walked behind the curtains
some have even left the stage
waiting in the dressing room,
and like the audience,
await my last act, my ending lines
then we can all remove our makeup,
our costumes, walk away
from the stage, the theater
awaiting the next script,
written by an omniscient author,
to perform our next roles

4 comments:

  1. living is tied so inexorably to dying, two hands on the same body.

    applause, applause, of course reminds me of shakespeare's out, out brief candle.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Out, out sweet brief candle, life is but a walking shadow...a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". Which portion of this Shakespeare reference are you saying my piece reminds you? Please 'esplen' yourself, mi amiga :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It ain't over til the fat lady sings! Personally, I hope she ain't singing for me for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete