Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wonder

Looking up I wonder,
an osprey doesn’t see me coming
my footsteps quiet in the sand
watching him tilt his head
at the sea below
gravity beckons
wings by his side
the single sheath of blue
leaving small white edges
turns then rises
a tiny splash sprouts up
in his talons floundering
unbeknown to my eyes
it was swimming there near me
snatched, no wake, no displacement
the ocean kindly waving
that’s when I wonder
in the grasp of an angel's wing
when my soul is snatched
from its incarnate being
will it leave no displacement
or even a wake
to the mundane expanse
in the sea of life.

8 comments:

  1. nice metaphor! I especially like "the grasp of an angel's wing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animals and nature are so inspiring to us, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! The ocean always makes me feel small, yet calm... and I do wonder what difference I make. Lovely poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, in the moment what will it be like? worthy wonderment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The insertion of the ...angel's wing snaching... has the intent of injecting the possibility of the mythical religious beliefs, the osprey and the ocean the intent of reminding that other entities exist outside our human existence and last but not least the question of displacement is whether our individual consciousness be remembered not just by 'similar' living species but also in the consciousness of the 'all'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nene, what you say here and too, what sort of influence do we have on the life we leave behind, at least this is where i went. it was a wonderful ride.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete