Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cheers!

Today I think of all those floating souls
whose feet would carefully step
each morning upon those Asian stones
not knowing of the wake roaring upon their shore
to swallow them taking them away
from their morning walks

Lifelong fishing craft now slurry through
inland fisheries wiping them away
downriggers hitch on planks separated
from other fisherman’s crafts
catching now upon strewn debris
floating down the once Sunday morning
market filled streets

They are spiritual and resilient souls
whose markets will soon once again
align the streets with fresh fish,
fresh greens, vegetables and
the netted pockets of rice

Sendai, your souls will meet with those
who now float above the mudslides of Chile
those of northeastern Australia and New Zealand
the still wailing cries of those from Haiti

We’ll praise and celebrate your lives
Raise our glasses filled with Sake
Chilean Pisco, Australia’s Coopers
Haiti’s Curacao
Here, Here, to the spirits long remembered!

PS: Dai-ichi please keep your mouth shut
       otherwise we'll fill it with the sand left
       from Chernobyl

4 comments:

  1. Had to look up Dai-ichi but now I'm grinning. Nice little dig for a moving tribute to another senseless disaster.
    I have nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. Please visit http://lolamousedroppings.blogspot.com/2011/03/you-like-me-you-really-like-me.html if you would like to claim it. Congratulations and I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lolamouse for the nomination. More important to me is that you read and then consume my words. My intent is to emote, to incite, to bring life to light and let one know, if not but for a moment, that we are not alone.

    You know that my feelings are mutual to your words and rants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A heartbreaking situation, isn't it. I love your poem in response to it...your emotion is very clear here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Hannah. Happy belated St Patty's day. Oooops!, Stephenson is probably not Protestant or Catholic Irish, huh?

    ReplyDelete