Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Jasmine

 

sitting here, observing my 19yr. old little black haired mini poodle,

as she sleeps most of the time now, which is probably what i will

be doing in my aged latter years.

 

i wonder what she dreams, whether it’s of running, scampering,

Jumping about in playful exuberance, like she used to when she

was filled with the verve of youth

 

hoping this is what she is doing as i watch her rising and ebbing tummy

and chest in breathing and i cherish these moments in the presence

of her still with us in this domain

 

she has filled our, my wife and me, lives with a love that so many

don’t have the privilege of experiencing, let alone the touch of

human love

 

these last, hopefully, months or weeks or days are so very precious

to us and when i carry her up the stairs because she can’t climb

them any longer, and outside, i watching her smell the earth as she

feebly walks about and though she’s without hearing and seeing

she still senses my presence, and she still kisses me with that small

tiny tongue letting me know she loves me

 

i know many have experienced this type of love, giving us the pleasure

of the present, contributing to the value of life in this, otherwise mundane

existence.

 

you rescued us

Gracias, Jasmine!

No comments:

Post a Comment