Friday, August 7, 2015

in her eyes


songbirds wake me through my open window
as i roll over and there she is…long sinuous hair
and warm cheeks from the comfort of her sleep
her eyes still closed yet her eyelashes so long
they are entangled in her hair

her eyelids slowly open as my face lays
next to hers and i see the sky in her azure eyes
there's the moon and stars of our night before. slowly
her smile evinces with a radiance of the morning sun
so i need not bother looking outside my window 
to see the morning's glory for it's before me

i rise, walk out and feel the grass blades underneath
my naked feet and the breeze blows gently
from the northwest, fills my soul with
the verve of life… this gives me joy

if tomorrow i do not wake, i will have lived this
moment. i have loved and have been loved, seen
and witnessed much in this tenured life of more
days and nights, weeks months and years than many.
have felt pain and angst, smiles and tears, more
than some but surely much less than others…

if i have not become what others expected of me
and i, at moments, wondered if i could have. judge me not  
in your eyes as unaccomplished, fulfilled. do not tarry
or waste a second or minute of your concern for i am 
and have become the totality of my choices, my volition. 
for in this moment i have calm and joy in my soul and 
love fills my heart for i see the sun, the moon, the stars
before me, in her eyes

18 comments:

  1. Wow. This is such a joyous expression of a fulfilled and fulfilling life and love. I love that you see all that you see in her eyes. Yes, to have a love like that in one's lifetime is more than enough. Loved this, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such mornings are a blessing and the best of things to have. Maybe life's fulfillment, and so important to have with you.. Not the expectations of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This speaks of a wonderfully deep love, Marcoantonio. I don't know that anyone can read this poem without realizing the warmth that you feel and experience in the presence of the one loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i need not bother looking outside my window
    to see its morning glory for it is before me

    Such a romantic write :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are moments when we know we are alive and things just feel 'right' - when that is shared with another it is even more special..a beautiful and touching write..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this pure contentment and love that shines brightly in the lines...may you have such blissful mornings all your life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to see the morning glory beside you, smiles ~ Very romantic ~

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. her smile evinces with a radiance of the morning sun
    so i need not bother looking outside my window
    to see its morning glory for it is before me

    It is amazing Marco! Having such feelings for a loved one is the yearning one calls for and very apparent here. A fulfillment certainly!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. The recognition that even if tomorrow you do not wake you will have lived THIS moment....that is powerful....that this moment is worth soaking up, worth holding onto as something so beautiful, worth remembering even unto death.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful introspection on love and life. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the ending about promises fulfilled. Very poetic here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very intimate morning you have painted here. The details signify true love. A whole lot of love showing in your piece Marco

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a ballad of love....it is so heartfelt that this one line had me swooning through the poem over and over again....to be loved like this....

    'so i need not bother looking outside my window
    to see its morning glory for it is before me'

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely poem, I do agree such moments need the sanction of the poets pen to fever the balm of love

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love can indeed make so many things mean so little.

    ReplyDelete