Thursday, May 22, 2014

alone


don’t know why but today
my soul hovers not
and the wind is calm
we sit next to each other

emptiness walks by, we wave
it takes a seat next to my soul
it chatters with the wind
but not with me

i ask...emptiness, why do
you sit next to me? but no words
are exchanged...it ignores me
so I sit alone

my heart beats, tethered
by subtle and quiet
it’s beat not heard amidst
the hovering of other souls

my heart aches recalling the tears
shed of life’s disdains and all
the telling of angry words
captured in its chambers

is this the way it must be
for days to come
only the wind and emptiness
to sit next to me?  

 

 

9 comments:

  1. The image of sitting alone with only the wind for company really intensifies the sense of isolation and depression in this poem. Thank you for participating in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very poignant, my friend.........sitting with emptiness.......reminds me of times I have sat next to someone yet felt lonelier than I do alone. The feeling of isolation comes through so clearly in this poem. May the wind blow a soft loving breeze your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have captured loneliness at it's core beautifully Marcoantonio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very poignant lines and the yearning is palpable in the last stanza...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can think of worse things than a nice quiet sit down with th wind for companion and not chattering.
    Like your treatment of the prompt and the choice of the item that carries the fallacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much emotion in your poem~ You write beautifully-even when it is sad~

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second paragraph is just lovely - a light touch to such heavy emotion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this! Tried to find the words to describe why, but figured out my words are missing today... Perhaps they're on a bench somewhere, next to your emptiness? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. But emptiness does make room for light and warmth to enter, once there is a crack in its armour...!

    ReplyDelete