Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Solemnity



In quiet times the fond memories
become embolden and they force
the deep joyous breath escape
from the dormant spaces within

I lift my eyes to the grays
up in the sky capturing sparkling
large drops fall breaking into
tiny sprinkles and ornament
the verdant horizon with glitter

They fall upon my cheek and brow
with the crispness of autumn
showing off its russet and orange dress
and the moon winks late
the sun lies down earlier

Cognizant of how many of these
I’ve witnessed although my body
has begun to show its age
this vision never gets old

If but one more time
I could feel the warmth
of mamasitas embrace
and those siblings and friends
walking softly in the clouds

Gently I say thank you
and am grateful for those
who have open their arms
to fill this temporary solemn space

5 comments:

  1. So nostalgic, beautiful and poignant. The longing for dear ones now gone. I especially appreciate the gratitude for those still here "to fill this temporary solemn space". Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your poems blend elements of the natural world and the world of memories, of people. How are you doing, mi amigo? Are you back in your home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet, Lolamouse. Thanks for asking. We're still living with transitory folk who smile and who I'll never see again. With only two pair of socks and shorts and the same eggs and sausage for breakfast Monday thru Sunday. But they taste different depending on how much tabasco sauce I sprinkle on them. The house is slowly, slowly, being put back together. Hopefully, we'll be back in a cozy warm place soon where we can see our neighbors, our unforgotten friends and familiars birds, plants and grass blades.

    thanks for asking mi amiga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nene , I'm glad to hear about how you and your house is doing.

    beautiful poem as always

    ReplyDelete