Saturday, November 26, 2011

Innocence Lost

Come back to me
a memory where there was
the pureness of gaiety

smiling while running
traversing the fields
the empty lots

scrapes on my arm
my knees, hands
thanks for t-shirts

'Scar', my first American book
first drawing, 'the Virgin Mary'
my first love poem

warm shy gentleness
of a girls hand in mine
first cheek kiss

campfire, 'Sleepy Hollow'
showing off, guitar prowess
infatuation, my teacher, older woman

Beatle’s haircut, singer in a band
mixer with girls
Ahhh! Kiss on lips

sports, football quarterback
dating, sex (ooohhh)
cars

Vietnam War draft, Yuk!!!
fear, fear, carnage and Death
naivete, innocence lost

11 comments:

  1. Seems as if we were both thinking back on the "old days."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem takes me back. Viet Nam - the innocence of an entire nation lost, I think. Thank you for the look back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this evocative piece of writing - you really took me there with you and the dramatic ending made it all the more moving. penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you at Poets United, and so glad I did! This is a touching timeline, and the added comments to certain events (like Vietnam) only served to make it more human, more real. Thank you. Your Poets United friend, Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/repairers-of-the-breach/

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I agree with your profile comment on diversity. My daughter is Jewish and Irish/American; she culturally identifies as a Jew. My family growing up was quite diverse, as Mom and I were both singers, so needless to say, our living room was always a rainbow! I lived in PR for awhile, but my friends born in Mexico here love when I try to speak what I remember of la espanol. Gives them a smile...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memories of childhood and growing up are always special...nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many ways to lose innocence (I prefer the pleasant ones). The end of the poem is so wrenching, probably much like such an experience would be, much enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your soul took us on an amazing journey~
    I loved all of your imagery and the power of your words! Sad ending, but life is full or coaster moments, ups n' downs~ Well Done~

    ReplyDelete